Monuments

Monuments

Episcopal Seminary

After the religious wars in the late 16th century seminaries were being built where clergymen were ordained priests. The first buildings of this seminary were being erected in 1623, after a design by Pieter Huyssens (1622-1657). 

Biezekapelstraat 2 - 9000 Gent
Béguinage Ter Hoye

In 1234, shortly after the erection of the Holy Corner, the béguinage Ter Hoye was built at the Groene Hoye, between the Hooipoort and the Vijfwindgatenpoort. This béguinage was built by charge of Jeanne and Margaret II, the countesses of Flanders. The béguinage gave shelter to beguines coming from the impoverished nobility, the bourgeoisie and the rich farming families. Initially, the béguinage was dependent on the Saint John’s Parish but in the third quarter of the 14th century it obtained complete parochial rights.

Lange Violettestraat
Bathhouse Van Eyck

Van Eyck is the oldest indoor bathhouse with bathtubs and showers in Belgiumill in use. After the construction of the bathing establishments of Verviers (1868) and Brussels (Le Bain Royal of 1878, Ghent followed the European trend started by Liverpool in the first half of the 19th century.

Veermanplein 1- 9000 Gent
Béguinage Sint-Amandsberg

The Holy Corner (Old Saint Elisabeth béguinage) was located on a site perfect for town expansion. During the second half of the 19th century the pressure of the growing population on this béguinage became bigger and bigger. Under the influence of the Commission of Civil Hospices of the city of Ghent, the new Saint Elisabeth béguinage in Sint-Amandsberg was built.

Jan Roomsstraat - Engelbert Van Arenbergstraat
Het licht

The façade of the former editorial offices of the Licht and the Vooruit in the Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat is at the very least one of the most remarkable façades from the interbellum period in Ghent.
In 1930, architect Ferdinand Brunfaut built a new printer in the garden of a 19th century mansion.
Not only the use of concrete, but especially the creative use of glass and metal, in which light plays a very important part, made these premises a symbol of the architectural style.

Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 128 - 9000 Gent
Belfry

The erection of the Ghent municipal tower began in 1313. This tower was the symbol of the city’s autonomy. Because of wars and disorder, the contruction was suspended very frequently. The Belfry was finally completed in 1380. Through the centuries, the building had seven different crownings, adapted to the growing number of carillon clocks. The silhouette of the crowning was built according to the architectural style of that time. In the middle of the 19th century, the wooden spire was replaced by a cast-iron campanile. Due to the lack of maintenance the spire started to rust. This made its demolition inevitable. The new stone bell tower, created after a design of the 14th century, was finished just before the World Exhibition of 1913. The faulty anchorage on the old shell was a reason for thorough restoration works between 1967 and 1980. 

Sint-Baafsplein 9000 Gent

Pages