Monuments

Monuments

Klooster franciscanen

Due to the war, the convent community ‘Order of Poor Ladies’ took refuge in Ghent in the middle of the 17th century. The community bought a house and the adjacent lands between the Oude Houtlei, the Maagdestraat and the Holstraat and built a convent and a chapel. In 1783, Emperor Joseph II suppressed the convent. Not much later, it was restored, but in 1796, it was suppressed again by the French occupier. The buildings were sold to a civilian who donated the buildings to the ‘Order of Poor Ladies’.

 

Oude Houtlei 124 - 9000 Gent
The Alijn Children’s Home

The Alijn Children’s Home came into existence as a feud between the aristocratic Rijm and Alijn families. After the cowardly murders of Hendrik and Zeger Alijn, the Rijm family was pardoned on condition that they set up a hospice and a chapel on land donated by the Alijn family. The charter of foundation (1363) stipulated that this hospice had to provide shelter for poor people and exercise works of Christian mercy.

Kraanlei 65 - 9000 Gent
Hotel vander Haegen

This mansion was designed by David ‘t Kindt and built around 1746. Judocus Clemmen, the first Ghent cotton baron, purchased the uncompleted premises in 1771. He had the façade completed and a storage depot was built at the rear of the building. It was in this building along the Lys River that he set up his cotton printing mill. Although the decorative patterns on the façade are typical of the rococo style, there are traces of classicism, such as the triangular fronton and the festoons and laurel wreaths of the wrought-iron balustrade. 

Veldstraat - Gent
Groot vleeshuis

The Groot Vleeshuis (Meat House) was designed by Gilles de Sutter and built between 1407 and 1419. Meat houses were big covered markets where the sales were centralized in order to check the meat’s freshness and quality. Private sales at home were forbidden. Between 1542 and 1543, sixteen tripe stores were built on the south-eastern side of the Groot Vleeshuis. For hygienic reasons, these separate stores were used for the sale of entrails, intestines and other remains of animals.

 

Groentenmarkt 7 - 9000 Gent
Gravensteen (Count's castle)

From the count’s residence to cotton mill, from small fortification with wooden buildings to an impressive castle, from a symbol of power to a tourist attraction … The Gravensteen has had a stirring history of construction, decline and revaluation.

Graslei

From the 11th century, there has been a lot of harbour activity at the Lys River “between the bridges”. Back then, the site was mainly known for the import of grain from the County of Artois (Northern France). Ghent was the staple town so all import of grain to the County of Flanders had to pass through the harbour. Merchants were obliged to bring a specified amount of their grain to the grain depot. Only after the grain had been there for two weeks, the owner was allowed to sell it at the Ghent market. Many buildings are a reminder of these activities and represent the flourishing of the Ghent trade.
During the 18th and 19th century, most buildings were renovated. Many of them lost their original character. With a view on the 1913 World Exhibition, the historical buildings were thoroughly renovated but not always with the needed attention to their authenticity.In 2003, the City of Ghent received a big subsidy for the restoration of the Graslei and Korenlei. Their project was carried out within the framework of a programme for the promotion of the revaluation of the Ghent canals, for the development of the mobility plan 'City Centre of Ghent' and for the reconstruction of the 'Kuip van Gent'.

graslei
Gerechtshof

The Gerechtshof (Law Court) was designed by Louis Roelandt and constructed between 1836 and 1846 on the site were the Recolettenklooster used to be.
The impressive building, situated at the confluence of the Lys River and the Ketelvaart, reflects the spirit of the Italian Renaissance.

 

Koophandelsplein 23-24 - 9000 Gent
Geeraard de Duivelsteen

The Gerard de Duivelsteen, a 13th century castle, is named after its builder; Knight Gerard Vilain who was nicknamed the Devil. It remained family property until 1328 after which it was sold to the city of Ghent. The building has exercised many purposes: knight quarter, arms depot, monastery, school and Episcopal seminary. In 1623 it became an institution for mentally disabled individuals and a home for boy orphans. Another part of the building was used as a prison or a detention centre. 

Geraard de Duivelstraat 1 - 9000 Gent
Caermersklooster

The monastery of the calked Carmelites (Caermersklooster) had a great impact on the quarter “Patershol”. Originally, the Carmelites come from the Near East (the word Carmelite is derived from the mountain Carmel in Palestine).Under pressure of the Islam they came to Europe. In 1287, they moved into the Abbey of Cambron.

Vrouwebroersstraat 6 9000 Gent
Book tower

In 1933, the Book Tower (the library of the Ghent University) and the Institute of History of Art, Zoology and Pharmacy were erected at the Blandijnberg after a design by Henry Van de Velde. From the very start, Van de Velde had a tower in mind to serve as the storage accommodation of the books of the Ghent University. This building had to be the symbol of science, wisdom and knowledge. The Book Tower is an example of the modernistic architecture of those days. It is an austere, elegant and functional element in the historic skyline. 

Rozier 9 - 9000 Gent

Pages